Building Homes, Communities, and Hope
Habitat for Humanity for San Luis Obispo County brings people together to Build Homes, Communities, and Hope.
From 2006 through 2015, HFHSLOCO built 17 homes in San Luis Obispo County – one in Cambria, four in Atascadero, three in Paso Robles, four in Grover Beach, and five in San Luis Obispo. All 17 homes were built with the family’s self-help (500 hours of sweat equity on the construction of their homes) and volunteer labor. HFHSLOCO incorporates green/energy efficient features into each home that we build, including photovoltaic systems, solar panels, and low water use fixtures. This is all done to decrease future utility costs for the homeowners, while supporting Habitat’s commitment to green building.
So far we have built 17 homes in San Luis Obispo County.
How to apply?
New Home Construction and Purchase
Habitat for Humanity for San Luis Obispo County brings people together to build homes, communities, and hope. We do this through:
The home price and mortgage financing terms are structured to be affordable. HFHSLOCO further supports the families by providing training on construction safety, home maintenance and repair, and workshops on budgeting and financial management, community services, and being a Habitat Partner Family.
- Building new homes for low-income families in the County to purchase through 0% interest home loans
- Assisting low-income homeowners improve and rehabilitate their homes through our Home Rehabilitation Program
- Assisting low-income homeowners to maintain and preserve their home through our Home Preservation Program
- Transforming lives, and promoting positive social and economic change throughout the County through our Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative
Applicants for a Habitat home must have incomes between 30% and 60% of the area median income, and must meet the following criteria:
- Income for the family must be between 30% and 60% of the median income for the county
- Ability to make a mortgage payment (including taxes and insurance) that will not be more than 30% of the gross income
- Debt to income ratio (DTI) will not exceed 43%
- Provide proof of a reliable source of income
- Be citizens of the United States OR provide proof of permanent residency status in the United States
- Must live in San Luis Obispo County
- Contribute 500 Sweat Equity Hours toward the construction of their home
- Commit to attend all educational workshops
- Commit to being Habitat partners and support efforts of the local affiliate
- Have a need for adequate, affordable, and/or safe housing
Habitat for Humanity for San Luis Obispo County is currently not accepting applications for new homeownership. We will post on our website when the application period opens.
Interested in our programs?
Thank you for your interest in Habitat for Humanity San Luis Obispo County!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.